Monday, May 5, 2008

911, What's your emergency?

I am 34yrs old, and until today, I have never called 911. But, today was the day, and I have to admit that it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. In fact, it was rather humiliating. Here is the run down:

6:00 pm- I give Blake a bath and put him on his changing table to get dressed. I lotion him up, and put a diaper on him. I realize that it is kind of hot, and should get some lighter jammies from the closet. I turn my back for one second and hear a loud thud. I turn around to see my sweet baby on the floor. (Now, I will admit that on more than one occasion, I have run down the hallway to the laundry room, or answered the phone in the other room while Blake has been on the changing table. But, this time I only turned my back for one second. Really, only one second!!!!)

I pick him up and he starts holding his breath and I can tell he is going to pass out. After what seemed like 5 minutes (probably only 30 seconds) he starts breathing and crying. I yell for Joey and he takes him from me to make sure that he is breathing. He then starts to struggle to breathe and his eyes and head start to droop. I freak out! Every once in a while he would start to cry, but mostly he would be in and out of a lethargic state. So, I call 911. I knew Joey didn't want me too, but I thought at any minute he was going to pass out. What if he didn't come too? Could I really wait? Did I over react? Maybe, but I was freaking out.

The 911 operator connects me to a paramedic and he starts asking me questions. By the time I have given him a rundown of what happened, and he finishes asking me all the questions, and let's me know that help is on the way, Blake has calmed down and seems fine. Here is where it gets embarrassing. I start to hear sirens when they are still about a mile away. Then the fire truck and ambulance pull up in front of my house with full sirens blaring. I can only image what the neighbors are thinking. Out jump 4 firemen and 2 paramedics. I start to get hot and am dreading the minute that they knock on the door and see my baby who is now smiling in my arms. Maybe I should have pinched him so that at least he was crying when they got there.

Those cute men entered my home and asked lots of questions and listened to his lungs and checked him out. Guess what, he was just fine. He just got the wind knocked out of him. (Just what Joey was telling me when I started dialing 911.) Then they packed up all of their bags, and took their trucks and left. It was awfully humiliating.

So, help me out. Make me feel better about being a paranoid, over reactor! I know some of you might have done the same thing. I think Joey is going to give me a few days to calm down, and then he is going to me a very hard time. I can't help it, I love my babies and do not handle these kind of situations very well.

I am going to run upstairs and give that baby a kiss. Good Night!

13 comments:

April said...

Are you kidding??!! I would have TOTALLY called 9-1-1. Holding his breath and being lethargic? 9-1-1 all the way. I have never done that, but I have had to call poison control TWICE (once for each child) which is slightly humiliating as well. I would have been embarassed by the sirens etc. but better safe than sorry, girlf! Sorry about your night - so stressful, but good that all is okay. I am getting excited for Heber. Will call you tomorrow to discuss exact dates. I have to book my flights! xo

Jenny Ellis said...

Ok Alisa, so it finally happened to one of your kids... Ellis kids like to hold their breath (especially Skyler). Don't feel bad we thought she was having a seizure the first time she did it. I remember I was 9.5 months pregnant with Charlie and we had to take her to the hospital where she was "just fine" - they were more worried about me going into labor! Don't feel bad:) xo Jenny

Sarah said...

Once when Madison was three I rushed her to the emergency room because she kept involuntarily doing this weird thing with her mouth (I thought she was having a stroke or a seizure or something)...and I called the pediatrician...and he told me to take her to the ER. The ER doc told me to have a long talk with her because she was faking. Please...she was barely three. It was so humiliating.

Rees Family said...

I totally understand the scary 911 call. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I FOR SURE would have called. I'm just glad Joey was home with you to calm you down. Were your other kids freaking out? Poor Blakey. I hope he is feeling better today.
No need to create so much drama just to have something to post about. :)

Larsen Family said...

Alisa, I had to post a comment after reading that story! I would have done the exact same thing...and I'm glad Blake is okay. But you really should write a book about your experiences...because I laugh out loud every time I read one or hear you tell one. You crack me up. I'm still waiting for a blog about a fabric zipper binder...

Aly said...

This story sounds all too familiar. I remember when Parker passed out for the first time and Uncle Wayne was the voice of reason saying, "He'll be fine. Charles used to do this all the time." But no way were we taking the chance. Steven might have even said something back like, "The hell he is fine. He's not breathing!" You do crazy things in the moment and the important thing is that Blakey is fine. Don't sweat it! I guarantee it won't be the last time you do something stupid because you are trying to help your children! We are suckers for our kids... after all, we are parents! And while I'm commenting, what in the crap is it with these Ellis kids holding their breath? Who can we officially blame for this? I want a name.

Sheri said...

And to think you were just blogging about how mundane your life is! Glad to hear everything turned out just fine. And even though I don't have kids I think I would have called as well, you can't take the chance.

Montgomery Family said...

You definitely did the right thing. I'm so glad that Blakey is ok...stop leaving him on the changing table. The first thing I though about was how freaked out Brendon must have been during all it. Poor thing. Such drama in the Tueller household!!

Debbie said...

Tell Joey you totally did the right thing! I had a friend who had a very similar experience. Her child fell and hit his head, cried and then seemed to look better. He fell asleep an hour later and went into a coma. When he finally came out of his coma weeks later, he was permanently seriously brain damaged. I say, better safe than sorry.

Angie said...

That's two kids now you've had to call the paramedics on...remember Nicole at the mall (Macy's, if I remember right),flying out of the stroller? At least they didn't haul Blake away in the ambulance :) I'm glad that it all turned out okay. Poor baby! Now that it's been a few days, the teasing will probably start. Tell Joey to LEAVE YOU ALONE!

April said...

911, My emergency is that my friend Alisa hasn't updated her blog in over a week and if I go to her website and see "9-1-1 what's your emergency" one more time I think I am going to keel over and die. I might add that her sisters (minus Jennifer today FINALLY) have been lagging as well. Don't they know I rely on them for my reading entertainment?

Michelle said...

I am totally dying reading your email! I would've called for sure if my kid had acted like he did! Ella once got her finger stuck in the VCR- that's another story. But she was screaming bloody murder. I could not get it out and didn't know what to do. I was too scared to call 911 because her finger was stuck in the VCR!! So I called a cop that's our neighbor and he came over. I was bawling my eyes out when he got here! It was so embarrassing! He later told me I should have called 911, that's what they're there for. So you did the right thing.

Michelle said...

Whoops, I called your blog an email! Ha ha! I must be 8 months pregnant! I'm losing my mind.